Where is the school?
CISM – International Centre for Mechanical Sciences
Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, 18, 33100 Udine UD
Udine and surroundings
How to Reach Udine
The city of Udine is situated in the North Eastern part of Italy, about 100 Km NE of Venice and 75 Km West of Trieste.
Udine is on the A23 motorway Udine-Tarvisio. If you are approaching via the A4 Venezia-Trieste motorway, exit at “Udine Sud”.
Detailed information is available on Autostrade
Udine is on the main line from Venice to Vienna. Trains from Venice run almost every hour. From Venice the trip to Udine is about 2 hours. From Vienna the trip takes about 6 hours. For more information about trains see: Trenitalia.
There are three main airports serving the North East of Italy:
1. Venezia (Venice airport is also called Marco Polo airport, VCE)
2. Trieste (Ronchi dei Legionari airport), which is the closest airport to Udine
1. The best international and intercontinental connections are through the Venice airport (VCE).
From this airport the best route to Udine is by train. First take the bus from the Venice airport to the Mestre railway station (ask for the bus to Mestre, not to Venezia – piazzale Roma).
There are two bus services:
– ATVO Fly Bus (express service). The ATVO busses run daily, every 20 minutes approximately (check schedule at: ATVO). Journey time is twenty minutes; and
– ACTV bus, the public transport (orange busses). The ACTV busses (town transport service, bus number 15 – orange) run daily, every 30 minutes (check schedule at: ACTV). Journey time is twenty-five to thirty minutes approximately.
Tickets for both buses can be purchased inside the airport luggage claim area. The bus ticket costs € 8,00.
Both ACTV and ATVO also have buses to the city of Venice (piazzale Roma).
At the Mestre railway station near Venice you can buy train tickets to Udine. The trains run almost every hour. The trip takes about 2 hours. The ticket costs 12-28 Euros depending on the time and speed.
For more information about trains see: Trenitalia.
2. The Trieste airport (Ronchi dei Legionari, TRS) has flights mainly from Europe.
A new train connection from Trieste Airport to Udine is available starting from March 2018. Please check Trenitalia for the train schedule and prices.
From the Trieste airport there is also a bus to the Udine rail station run by TPL FVG (line number 51). The bus from Trieste to Udine takes about 45 minutes. Bus tickets are sold at the airport.
3. The Treviso airport is located at about 30 Km from Venice and 3 Km from the Treviso centre. A public bus service (number 6) operates every 30 minutes from/to the airport to/from the Treviso railway station. The trip takes 15–20 minutes. From the Treviso railway station you may take a train to Udine on the Venice/Mestre – Udine line (there is no need to go to Venice). For train connections see: Trenitalia.